Stock

Ride a little Yorkshire Heritage

We run a variety of stock on our lines.

No.2150 0-6-0ST Mardy Monster

Builder: Peckett & Sons Built: 1954 Weight: 55T Boiler Working Pressure: 200psi

Tractive Effort: 29,527 lbs Cylinder Dimensions: 18” x 26” Heating Surface Area: 921 sq ft

Grate Area: 19.1 sq ft Status: Under maintenance

No. 2150 was built by Peckett & Sons, Bristol, in 1954 and was one of only three of the OQ class constructed. The locomotive weighed in at 55 tons with cylinder dimensions of 18” x 26” the heating surface is a massive 921 sq ft with a grate area of 19.1 sq ft. Driving wheels of 4 1/2 ft and a working pressure of 200 lbs per square inch makes this loco the most powerful industrial steam locomotive ever built in the UK. Adding all the above dimensions together, the nominal tractive effort is 29,527 lbs at 85% efficiency, which compares to a 7F on British Railways.

With this in mind, it is little wonder that the engine was nicknamed the “Mardy Monster.”

The picture shows the massive size of the OQ Class Peckett. Maerdy is a small town in the Rhondda Valley where No.2150 and its twin sister No. 2151 spent all their working lives at the very steeply graded Maerdy Colliery. Its loud staccato exhaust beat could be heard for miles around as it heaved heavy coal trains of up to 45 wagons up the steep colliery inclines. The locomotive remained in service until 1976 when it was withdrawn. After No. 2150 was withdrawn, it stood idle for three years before being purchased for preservation on the embryonic Swanage Railway. It had a little work done on it before being abandoned in favour of main line locos which were more appropriate for the expanding Purbeck line. After 18 years the engine was purchased for the Elsecar Railway, Barnsley, and restoration has continued steadily.

No. 9599 0-4-0 VB William

Builder: Sentinel Built: 1956 Type: 100HP Steam Shunting Engine Weight: 23T

Water Capacity: 660 gallons Rated Boiler Pressure: 220PSI Status: Operational

Sentinel No. 9599 William was built in 1956 for Courtaulds Fibres Ltd at Great Coates, Grimsby where it was employed hauling the materials necessary for the factory's normal processes, including the hazardous cargo of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide).
William remained in use alongside its classmate George (No. 9596) until dieselisation at the factory in 1978 resulted in the withdrawal from service of both locomotives and their sale during the succeeding decade.

William went initially to Peak Rail at Buxton, where it saw some passenger duties, but proved less popular following Peak Rail's relocation to Matlock, and was sold again in 1994, being transferred to Middleton Railway.

William's spell in Leeds was detinied to be a short one as two years later it began a 12-year period on the Battlefield Railway, at Shackerstone, before finally arriving at Elsecar in March 2008. William hauled its first passenger train in South Yorkshire on May 31 the succeeding year.

No. 10 0-4-0 VBT Gervase

Builder: Manning Wardle Rebuilt By: Sentinel Built: 1900 (Converted 1928 to VBT)

Status: Operational

Gervase is a 0-4-0 Vertical Boiler Tank Locomotive. It was originally built by Manning Wardle in 1900 as a small saddle tank locomotive to the conventional 'H' Class design, and it began work at Merstham Grey Stone Lime Works immediately after delivery from the builders. After heavy usage for over 20 years, Gervase was converted to a VBT by the Sentinel Locomotive Co. in 1928.

The drive is transferred from the steam engine to the front axle via chain, with power to the rear axle via side connecting rods.

The locomotive has undergone a full rebuild and restoration at Elsecar.

After successful trials, Gervase was used for various events in 2013, which saw a visit to the Great Central (South), and a return to its former home at Kent & East Sussex Railway. He has also performed without fault at the head of our Steam Santa Specials in December 2013.

Avonside W/No.1917 0-6-0ST Earl Fitzwilliam

Builder: Avonside Class: B4 Built: 1923 Weight: 28T Boiler Working Pressure: 160psi

Status: Awaiting Overhaul

No. 1917 was originally named Pitsford and was owned by Pitsford Ironstone Quarries in Northampton.

When bought for preservation she was moved to the Fawley Hill Railway, until 1972 when she moved to the Nene Valley Railway. 1917 left the Nene Valley Railway and was overhauled, repainted and named The Earl Fitzwilliam, for use on the Elsecar Railway.

No. 1917 was withdrawn from Elsecar Railway services in 2002 after ten years hard work for the railway.

This locomotive was the main workhorse on passenger services from when the railway began operating services in the early 1990's, until withdrawal from service in 2001. It is currently awaiting overhaul.